PLAN A TRIP WITHOUT TRAVEL AGENCY
I decided to create a guide on how to plan a trip without the help of any travel agency! Gianluca and I often start this way, we organize everything by ourselves and we realized that without a guide it can be really difficult!
In this article I will list you sites where to find the best deals on flights and hotels, I’ll advise you how to create a tailor-made itinerary for your destination and what you absolutely mustn’t forget to do before leaving!
GUIDE FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TRAVELING AND WANT TO DO IT WITHOUT REVERING TO ANY AGENCY
PLAN A TRIP WITHOUT TRAVEL AGENCY
- Let’s start from the first point, the main one: the choice of destination!
Each destination has a better time to visit and this should not be ignored in order not to find yourself in the rain, in the cold or in hurricanes. I wrote you in one article month by month the best destination! HERE it is !
- Did you choose your destination? Now we have to take care of the flights. On SkyScanner you will find many flights and offers! Remember also that if you travel a lot, each airline has a loyalty program with which you will accumulate “miles” on each journey that will give you access to discounts, promotions and much more! I put you the link for KLM miles but every company has it! (excluding low-cost companies)
- Now you will be tempted to book hotels, but not. First of all, create an itinerary and than you’ll find the best hotels following your itinerary.
Rely on Lonely Planet guides and blogs like this to get information on what you absolutely can’t miss! If you don’t find a destination on my blog, write me in the comments or on Instagram, I will be happy to help you! 🙂
If your destination is in a place where you can enjoy, discover, visit and explore, create your own itinerary by booking several hotels close to the attractions you want to visit. We sometimes change hotels every 3 days because we have the opportunity to visit a lot without staying in the same place.
In this case we opt for car rental! RentalCars.com never lets us down, it offers so much in terms of services and costs, and we choose the most suitable car for every trip we make.
If you don’t feel like driving or changing hotels often, then choose one that is really convenient to the main means of transportation. It’s not enough that there is a nearby metro, check that in that area pass more metropolitan lines.
- So here we are at the choice of hotels! How not to mention Booking.com or Hotels.com or …. AirBnB! Many of you know the passion we have in having our independence abroad, we rely very often on this platform that offers not only rooms but mini apartments; in this way we know new people and we penetrate even more in the city feeling part of it!
If you have rented a car, check that there are parking lots near where you are staying and check the prices (you can ask the landlord if you opt for an airBnB or at the hotel by mail).
Perfect. We have flights, itinerary, hotels and even the car or the knowledge of the main metro stations … what is missing?
- INTERNATIONAL DRIVE LICENSE?
If you rent a car, check that your driving license is enough in the country of destination, in some countries require the international one!
You also have to find out if your destination needs an entry visa. Sometimes it may take several weeks to receive it, request it on time!
- HEALTH INSURANCE
This is something not to be underestimated. It is always good to be safe from the health point of view when going to places that are very far from the outside. On the internet there are several insurance companies where you can buy the “package” that meets your needs. We always rely on Columbus Insurance and travel safely.
It depends on the destinations but in some cases some vaccinations may be needed. We for the Safari in South Africa had to do malaria prophylaxis for example. Go to the Ministry of Health website or request information from your primary care physician.
- INTERNET OR FOREIGN SIM
This is essential. Traveling without the help of an agency means having to deal with yourself. Do not worry, nothing will happen, but having internet connection is essential. If you have rented the car then make sure you have enough GB also for the navigator.
My advice is to contact your telephone company and activate a plan before departure, alternatively you can buy a Sim on site.
Yes, always bring it. Not that they will serve () but having them will be better.
- CHECK PASSPORT AND VALIDITY
Ok, this is obvious but a friend managed to forget it at home and did not leave.
Take your passport, keep it in a safe place and before leaving check its validity!
I hope this tips can help you to create a perfect plan for your next trip!
And you, have you ever traveled without the help of any travel agency?